Monday, October 26, 2009
Commune livin'!
Since the last post, my sister had some trouble with her rented room in someone else's apartment, and needed a place to stay. About the same time that I said she could stay on our futon (finally a new couch! Couldn't have come at a better time either!) we had friends who also needed a place. They would crash 'randomly' on the futon, but I realized it was becoming more of a problem for them when prospective apartments didn't work out. So I kept telling them to stay with us, too. Then my sis could stay in our extra bed in our on days they stayed over. Well that became every night and our family of four became a family seven (plus an extra cat!) I have yet to take a picture of all of us that everyone approves of being released... but yes, seven people to two rooms. Other than Princess Z of course, who has her own room at night. Lyla stays in our room still, but as I've noticed over the past few days, she does NOT like to sleep. I used to put Zalah out in the living room at night to get her used to sleeping alone. I can't do that now as there are people there, so we usually put her to bed in our room before we go to bed ourselves. Sometimes we forget, and she sleeps ok with us. But lately its been a massive undertaking to get her to sleep at night, with her persistent Capricorn self screaming for hours at a time! Unless I'm right there next to her of course. That being its own difficulty, I rather like living with a lot of people. We all have different schedules so its not usually too crowded, though we do still often have company. I like that I have help from EVERYBODY and no longer have to pick up my sister from the train or be the only one to drop of Chaim. He also gets a ride some days with our roommates to school. They all help with food, dishes and cleaning, and I actually had time to clean the bathroom (while giving my kids a bath at the same time, nonetheless...) but its something I wouldn't normally have too much time for. I kept the place pretty clean on my own, but with two babies and all their work plus house and school there was a bit of dust here and there. I do feel badly when we stay up late in the living room and the mates are tired, or when we go to bed late and my sis is already trying to sleep in there. Many people can't tolerate that kind of living, and it is difficult at times. But I think the women like each others company (at least I need it!) and we all get along fairly well. We haven't fought too much, at least not with each other. I like the idea of communal living, and I like that it's working out for me. We take care of each other, and because we have shared responsibility, it isn't a crisis if someone else leaves something that needs to be cleaned because we all clean up after each other. We don't keep tabs because we see it as fair since we all share work evenly. It isn't regimented and strict, actually the way I see real communal living is laid back and just having the respect to help each other out. I think its when you give everyone too specific of a chore that it becomes "YOU didn't do YOUR job". While my husband usually took out the garbage (or at least I tried to get him to) we've all done it in turn, and try to not complain too much that we did his job. The only time that happened a lot was when I was alone with him and felt like I was doing 99% of the domestic work, even when he no longer had a job. While I still think I do much of the work, I get help from people who really mean to help. We don't give them a deadline to leave or make them pay for things, and I try not to ask too much from them and not do anything myself. Maybe because it is relaxed, they volunteer their help more readily. This helps relieve some of my stresses and we all get time to study (sort of).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good for you, communal living is totally not for me...or maybe the problem is that I never had roomies who pulled their weight. I hope you get the sleep situation with Z all figured out.
ReplyDeleteeveryone helps, imagine if they were all lazy!! ahhhhh!!
ReplyDeleteits so fun to go over! yay!!
This sounds like a surprisingly pleasant environment to live in! And at least you are getting some much needed assistance with domestic tasks out of the deal! I keep reflecting on how lonely it can be to be a mom. But it's really nice that you have some constant company to quell the loneliness!
ReplyDeleteYes, it definitely is never a dull moment, so it is a little tough to decompress. But since I never had time for that anyway, its nothing new! lol! Though one of my professors suggested I meditate with my children at an early age. I like that idea. I think it could be tough but I would like to try it!
ReplyDeleteAmanda, there was a community in Brooklyn who wanted to make a building that was separate bedrooms but with common rooms outside that they could hang out in with each other. They all were interested in the idea and pooled money to make it work. I thought that was a cool idea. Of course some places take it too far with separate housing for the children where there isn't a sense of possession even for your own children. :\ Then they also grow up not attracted to each other because they see each other as siblings. (I forget the name for that effect, Wester something)
cool blog, cordy! (it's 2am and i can't sleep, so thanks for giving me something to read) :D
ReplyDeleteas for the kids meditating- my first experience with meditation was in second grade- our teacher led us through a guided meditation and it was REALLY COOL! i have liked meditating ever since. i don't know if there is an age where it's too early to start... if you use age-appropriate narrations, you can totally get your kids into it! i bet you could find tons of info online if you googled meditation for children. good luck with that, sounds like fun! :)
I love the idea of instilling mediation in them young. My mom taught me to mediate when I was 17. And I never forgot.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I could do that.. I mean it sounds great if it works.. maybe I would just need the right people around.. people I consider family I could deal with ..hope all is well!
ReplyDeleteOh I've forgotten all about meditation! Opps! :) Thanks for reading! I don't post often, its hard for me to get the time and ideas/pictures but I try!
ReplyDelete