I don't have my exact words I left on Almay's site. They only allowed about 255 characters, so it was basically this:
Product: Almay Daily Moisturizer for Dry skin with SPF 15
Comment: I put this moisturizer into a travel container and it became solidified on the edges. The screw top was heavily gunked on and I can't get it out. What causes this!? It's a little scary that this goes on my face!They wrote me:
Dear Mrs. M.:
We are indeed sorry to learn of the experience you attribute to Almay Daily Moisturizer - Dry, but appreciate you taking the time to give us your comments.
Please click on the link provided below to accept a coupon to be used toward your purchase of Almay products.
Enclosure:
1 $5.00 E-coupon Almay
Thank you for your loyalty to our products. Please be assured of our desire to be of service whenever possible.
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Replies sent to this email address cannot be answered. If you have additional comments about this issue, please click here:
http://www.econsumeraffairs.
If you have comments on a separate issue, please return to our corporate website: http://www.almay.com
Sincerely,
Allison Mitchel
Senior Claims Representative
Alright. That's cool that I got a coupon. But you know what? They didn't answer my question. I thought maybe it could be the SPF, but I have plenty of sunblock and that doesn't happen. I don't really care too much that the container was ruined, because I had enough to use for vacation, but I do want to know what that is. Almay seemed to be such a good brand. Maybe not totally organic, but hypoallergenic and clean. But they sort of avoided the question. Maybe they don't know, but if that's the case, they should. I started to wonder if companies give coupons not just because a bad situation happened to the consumer, but to take their minds off of it and keep them happy. That seems shady. Most companies I've written to in the past were very helpful, even if I didn't like their product. But this answer is one I'm not entirely satisfied with.
I have a container of Dove Night Essentials Cream and I love it. It feels clean and really moisturizes well.
I don't know if they still sell it, but I did see the day one in the store. This also has SPF.
I would like to try it, since I like Dove products already. As for the Almay, I don't want to get rid of it, but I'm not so sure I want to use it anymore either.

Companies are really funny when it comes to such things. I once contacted Jeff’s Diet Chocolate Egg Creams about why more than half the calories are from fat if it’s 98% fat free. I got a lot of “that’s a good question!” but I never got a response. When Yitzy was little, he wrote to M&M’s asking them to make blue ones. They sent him back a nice pamphlet explaining why the color mix is the way it is in the different flavors. (At the time it might have only been plain and peanut! Now, of course, they have blue ones.)
ReplyDeleteDon Novello (AKA Father Guido Sarducci) compiled a whole book of such letters he had written to companies – complaining to McDonald’s that they’ll give grape jelly with the Egg McMuffin but not with the Big Mac, complaining to Mr. Bubble that the bottle says to keep dry (“How do you use it if you keep it dry?”), etc. Customer service people probably stop listening after 48 hours on the job and just smile & nod to whatever people say!
it might have been the container u used...
ReplyDeletekeep in mind im not familiar with the product but i know that when i worked in the pharmacy liquids came in certain types of containers because they were formulated and stable to be kept in those containers... *shrugs* i dunno
but hey! 5 bucks!!
Lauren V
That's aggravating that they refused to answer your actual question. Essentially, they shoved money in your face in order to cover up their faulty product. They should investigate the cause of the solidification. I'm sure you are not the first person to complain about this issue.
ReplyDeleteLauren, that's interesting...I used the containers with other products and it didn't happen. I wonder what would make that happen as a reaction? Either way, I wrote back asking them again and never heard from them!
ReplyDelete