
I have to start by saying, yesterday was amazing. Chaim was a sweetheart and bought me a day at the spa, which was so wonderful. He is the best! After that I was supposed to meet a friend in Brooklyn, so we decided to try out Carlos and Gabby's afterward. We had tried their nachos before because they have a location by our friend Jack's house, but wanted to try more.
I'm not writing a review, but I thought the food was great. They gave a lot for the price, which for kosher food was pennies. (O yea! Its kosher!) What I did want to write about is the experience with the other random diners that night.
When we got there, Zalah was already pretty grumpy and over tired. I immediately stole bells and maracas off the counter and then asked if I could give it to her to play with. I was dressed a tab bit old school for me, including knee high combat boots with skulls on the toe. I had to do a quick transformation earlier, but what a difference a skirt makes! I wondered if people would think I was just a rebellious kid, but I didn't focus on it too much. Besides, I'm not trying to be rebellious, I am rebellious! And the clothing just happened to be situational, I don't do it everyday anymore. Zalah got anxious and wanted to walk around a few times, and being herself, she just went right up to random people at their tables and would babble and wave. So many people were nice to her, talking back and saying how cute she was. She climbed the stairs and got angry when I took her back down to go home, and had a screaming fit including throwing her maraca across the room. I looked at the table next to me and apologized because I thought she might have hit them with it. The woman said "Its ok, I came out here to escape this kind of thing!" I laughed and said I feel bad that she didn't avoid it in the end, but she was cool about it. I strapped Zalah in and said "If you don't behave, we'll marry you off to gypsies when your 13!" I noticed the woman with a blonde shaitel and a Bugaboo stroller a few tables up started to laugh. As we were passing her table, I tried to maneuver our double stroller through her stroller and the nearest tables. She tried to move it for us, but there wasn't room so just moved the tables. Since I try to be nice, and we were already so well acquainted with the whole dining room, I asked if she had a girl or a boy and the age. She said it was a boy who was three months old. He was adorable, laying down sleeping in the stroller. (Now I see why they are so desirable! No need to pack a crib! Though you could probably buy a much cheaper knock off.) I told her the girls ages, and then she gushed "You guys are like, angels! You're so chilled out, you don't get mad." I was totally taken aback! I didn't even think about how people were watching our reaction to the kids behavior, let alone how she could think that with Miss Goth Queen of the Universe as their mother! I felt like that was very nonjudgmental of her to see past the image to what was really happening. But of course I had to snap back to reality, so I replied "Oooo no.... we get mad!" "I know! Sometimes you just want to scream!" She said. "Yea, there are days when I just have to put them down somewhere and go outside to really scream or something." I reassured her. I wish I had some snazzy blog cards like Sarah to hand out at that moment! But I didn't, and maybe my blog would have scared her, so we said good luck and good bye. And you know, I really felt good after we left. That's such a great compliment for us. Even though we know its not always true, it feels good to know that maybe sometimes, we can handle it. We weren't trying to impress anyone there, we just wanted to keep the kids happy for themselves and everyone, and we do that a lot with jokes and being silly. So many people criticize your parenting style or don't understand your sense of humor with them, so its such a great relief to find people who do. It was so sweet of her to admire us and say something about it. And kids are great for causing conversation among cool strangers!
Then I had a nightmare about hipsters who didn't give me any ice cream! >:(

This story says to me that it is rare that we see ourselves accurately. We always harp on our faults as moms. "Oh, I snapped at Z the other day...etc." But I constantly marvel at the way you are able to handle having two kids so close in age. It must be tough. But you keep it together girl! You are an awesome mom! A lot of people in your shoes would have had a nervous breakdown already!! But you make it work. You are very strong and extremely competent.
ReplyDeleteProps to Chaim for the spa. I hope you had a relaxing day!
You should get cards made. Vista print is really cheap. Mine ended up costing $9.00 total with shipping for 250 of them. It's worth it.
Spa day sounds awesome! Go Chaim! hahaha.. I sometimes worry that when I'm out places with my cousins kids that they are bothering people so its nice to hear when you meet cool parents that understand!
ReplyDeleteoh and evil hipsters not letting you have ice cream how dare they! especially in your own dreams!! haha
I know! The thing is, I also worry when I am out, like most parents, that my kids don't disturb everyone, and also that I don't look terrible for letting it happen. But I guess this time I didn't even notice it so much! I did try to keep her quiet, but like I said, I wasn't trying to impress anyone with 'mom skills', which is why its so nice that people saw them. You are right Fader, we do do that! Its insecurities and wanting to be the best all the time, but we have to realize its ok to be how we are. I think that I also break down sometimes, I admit that I go crazy, but I deal with them because I have to! I don't have a choice. But I hear what you mean. I guess when I am really stressed, sometimes I scream and cry, but sometimes I have to pull it together, like when Z barfed all over the crib or car seat. Its like, "Omg. What am I going to do...think!" and you just have to get it done.
ReplyDeletehahaha, the end was so funny!!
ReplyDelete