Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Very Easy Recipes

I hate the struggle to find new and interesting foods every night. But with a baby who eats solids and my husband who is the picky princess, it must be done!

Often, I just make something up or modify a recipe. It doesn't always have to be exact or have all the little ingredients. It depends on what it is. It's different every time, but the idea is the same. Fresh ingredients and spices are key, so stock up! Some of my favorites are:

Italian: Cook a box of pasta, but instead of the standard sauce, throw on different veggies. Maybe with some sauteed onion and herbs for flavor. One combo I really like is fresh tomatoes, garlic, black olives and capers with some cooking wine and spices. Also a never-fail combo that many dishes are based off of is canned peeled tomato, black olives and spinach. Make it with pasta or with tortellini as a soup. Definitely experiment and have fun with it.

Pseudo-Indian: I usually start with chickpeas and go from there. I often add onion and tomato, among many others, but the spices are completely different. Fenegreek, curry, cumin, coriander seed, cilantro, ginger, etc. And I usually serve it with rice.

Mexican: Black beans and rice! Cumin is a must. My fave additions are oregano, cilantro, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Another great thing is bean salads. Black bean salad is good with tomato and corn with cilantro, hot pepper, lemon/lime and spices, etc, and black bean soup is almost the same with a few modifications. Another great south of the border bean salad is with chickpeas. I used to make it with onion, tomato and cilantro, but one day I had a massive craving for it with garlic instead of onion. I was afraid it would be disgusting, but it is one of our favorites now! Though it is a far cry from authenticity.

Summer Snack: I love this one. Cucumber slices with cheese on top (preferably Havarti, but I'm sure Munster, Mozzarella or Monterrey will do.) with tuna salad on top of that. Its so easy and Zalah loves it. I just add some spices to the tuna and its done in 5 minutes. You can also make up more things like this with other veggies. Think lettuce wraps with shredded carrot and hummus, etc.

I also want to share some favorite recipes that I actually follow. Since I don't eat meat, these are mostly Vegetarian, some Vegan, but a few are fish.

Ethiopian Stew - http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=143

Men's Health Magazine's Spicy Lime Talapia - http://www.menshealth.com/shortordercook/recipes/spicy_lime_tilapia.html

Basil Tofu - http://www.tofu-recipe.com/

Quinoa salad (of course I alter it based on what I have) - http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soupssalads/r/quinoasalad.htm

Lentil Curry (for crock pot) - http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotvegetables/r/bl92c1.htm

Fish with butter and lemon - http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1817,148189-232201,00.html

For dessert, but a large container of Stonyfield Farms fat free plain yogurt and follow the recipe for low fat yogurt muffins under the lid. They are amazing!

I couldn't find links for these but they are so amazing I wanted to share!

Lemon Moroccan Stew

I LOVE this, but I half it because its so much! I also love it with cous cous.

2 Meyer Lemons, seeds removed and thinly sliced
3 (15 oz) cans of garbanzo beans
2 cinnamon sticks (I just used a tiny bit of ground cinnamon instead)
1 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp olive oil
3 large onions, thinly sliced
2 (32 oz) cans diced tomatoes w/ juice
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 lb baby spinach
salt & pepper

In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and sliced lemons. Heat until rind begins to soften, about 5 mins. Set aside. In large stock pot over medium heat, add 1/4 cup of olive oil and saute onions for 4 minutes. Add cinnamon and cumin seed and continue to cook until onions are golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, garbanzo beans, raisins, sauteed lemons, ground cumin and coriander. Allow to simmer for about 45 minutes until liquid thickens. Stir in spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and enjoy served over couscous or with pita bread.


Zucchini Lentil Soup
Makes 6 servings
Soup Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut into ¼ inch pieces
4 cloves fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
½ teaspoon dried sage
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
2 large or 3 medium zucchini, with skin, cut into ½ inch pieces
¼ cup fresh dill, stems trimmed, loosely packed
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup dried red lentils

Soup Directions
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, sage and thyme. Coon until the onion is translucent; do not allow it to brown.
Add the zucchini and dill. Saute for 4-5 minutes, until zucchini is a little shiny.
Add the stock. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the zucchini is soft.
Add the lentils. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. (If you use regular lentils instead of Red ones, you will have to cook them longer.)


Enjoy! And feel free to share!

3 comments:

  1. I'm really excited by these! I can't wait to try the tuna/cheese/cucumber combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I know we have a ton more recipes. I tried Lemon Garlic Sea Bass last night, but because Sea bass is so expensive, I used Talapia. But today my mom tells me Talapia is fatty so maybe flounder is a good middle ground? We need to post some more healthy dessert recipes!

    ReplyDelete