Now, I'll be hoping to keep cloth diapering her until she is also older, age two if that is necessary. But that brings the second point; its just one of them. I guess I didn't want to think "one more" would complicate things further, but if you think about it, its double duty. Double doody. It's not the most fun job around, but it is a whole lot easier.
I do wish that Zalah had the benefit of potty training earlier, but since I started (and finished) cloth diapering her so late, she would have none of it. She HATED being in them, and I don't blame her. Even Lyla hates it, but I can force her a little easier for now. I sort of wish I had started earlier for this reason, but my original hesitancy was access to the washer and dryer, and lo and behold, they are broken. Having half as many diapers, however, has made that situation bearable since I just take them to a friends house and have to do that less often then before. Maybe Lyla will potty train earlier (I was aiming for 2 years old in general) because of the cloth diapers and big sister influence.
There are some things that I now appreciate since the whole thing has become a bit easier for me. The cloth diapers REALLY DON'T LEAK. That is incredible. I feel like younger babies leak more in general, but one would think cloth would leak as well. Nope, that part has been problem free. Rather they absorb all over, so its wet right under her belly button and all through the front, but not outside. (I can see why they hate that feeling though!) And these babies REALLY do absorb!! Some days I change her 3-4 times like I did in disposables. Nice.
There also really is NO rash. It seems impossible, but her tush is nice and clean and peachy. :) I sometimes even forget to wipe her after a pee pee! When I cloth diapered both, I had to wash the diapers so frequently, that they ended up in disposables half of the time anyway. Since I've switched to Lyla exclusively, she's only been in disposables while I wash them, and that's now less often. I still only have two covers, so I just wash them both when I do a load, hence the need for disposables at all. I never have gone through all of my diapers in one load. I have 18 in all, and my usual load is about 12 or so. Maybe I should invest in a few more covers!
That brings the next issue: the covers. Previously I mentioned how they smell a lot. They still do, sort of, but I've let it go and reuse them, sometimes all day. I think actually washing them in a machine that WORKED helped get rid of the smell. Sometimes I also air them out overnight while she's in another one and that also takes off some of the pungency. *Speaking of pungent and diapers....they both need some right now!*
That brings me to how I clean them. This is sort of gross, but if they are just pee or a poop that comes off easily, I rinse them in the sink. Then I do the rest of the steps. Today, however, Lyla had a sticky poo. First, I scraped it off with my knife. *still gross, and no picture for that one...*
Then I emptied my bucket of dirty diapers, and rub off the excess with water in there.
Next I wring it out and spray it with Bac-Out.

This is how much of a stain is left when I'm done with my pre-treat phase.
Then I hang it over the bucket edge to dry for a while, or until I need the space for a new one.

Then I hang it over the bucket edge to dry for a while, or until I need the space for a new one.
This way, the diapers aren't to stinky or covered in poo so I can afford to wait a teeny bit to wash them, and worry less about staining. I also bought a new cat litter that came in a tub, so I'm planning on using that as a second bucket so I stop getting my nice one all poo-filled.
I do feel pretty gross after this still, but Zalah's were FAR worse. Lyla is also in her wiggly stage (which is a pretty long lasting stage) so dressing her or changing her is always a challenge, but I guess that would be for disposables as well.
So thankfully, Cloth Diapering is looking up! Though I still think FuzziBunz are the best!
I do feel pretty gross after this still, but Zalah's were FAR worse. Lyla is also in her wiggly stage (which is a pretty long lasting stage) so dressing her or changing her is always a challenge, but I guess that would be for disposables as well.
So thankfully, Cloth Diapering is looking up! Though I still think FuzziBunz are the best!

I'm glad it's looking up for you! You're brave for actually touching the diapers so much. I refuse. My diaper sprayer is my friend. I would die with him! I guess I'm spoiled now though cause I didn't have one while I was on vacation and it was harder for me to deal with the poop!
ReplyDeleteWhat detergent are you using now? Isn't it awesome that they don't leak (and no rash)? Well, you read about my leaky disposable adventure. They suck!
I'll start emailing you any diaper deals I get...I usually am notified of all the sales and discount codes, etc. momsmilkboutique.com and abbyslane.com always have free shipping so I use them exclusively.
My dad was actually mesmerized by the snappi! He was like "woah, cool, how does it work?" Lol.
Hahaha! Yea it isn't so bad anymore! Since I don't have a sprayer (yet??) I have to get down and dirty.
ReplyDeleteMiriam emailed back from this blog notification asking why I don't keep them in water until I wash them. Well for all who don't know, its a drowning hazard and a big NO NO! We try to watch kids, but its never good to have that where they might get into it!
This is such a great explanation of the cloth diapering cleaning process. I feel that you have entirely demystified it for me.
ReplyDeleteI think at home depot they sell those big 5-gallon paint buckets with lids that are SUPER hard to get off. Even I have to struggle with it. I've contemplated using one of those but I just spray it off and stick it in the wet-bag hanging on the door. Maybe one of those would work for you?
ReplyDeleteTell C to get you a sprayer. Don't buy the ones marked "diaper sprayer" though cause they're like $40-$50. We just got a sink sprayer and a little shut-off valve for it so the water pressure isn't constant. I guess the sprayers could blow up otherwise?
Oh Fader, there is so much more! I guess this is excessive, because most people spray their diapers like Amanda said, and then wash them with a cold cycle first. I don't really have great washer access, so I sort of do this pre wash by hand.
ReplyDeleteOne day I'll get a sprayer! *sigh*! I need more covers!