Saturday, June 13, 2009

Nursing Bras

Alright ladies, we're huffing pregnant women for months, and then have that lovely bowl of jelly as a belly for a few months after, and I don't know about you, but I feel ready for some sexy. Enter nursing bra. And it is SO not it. I actually tried on nursing bras while I was still pregnant at my favorite place, the Dain Shope. It is a specialty shop that caters to us Lusty Busties as well as everyone else.
And yet, sadly, even here the nursing bras were mostly matronly and boring. Not like I had ANY luck at all in any other place. They did have a huge selection though, so I left with two Elle Macpherson Maternelles. These models were obviously not pregnant.

Since I was pregnant, I bought these in a larger band size, and it was comfortable since it had six sets of hooks. Yes, SIX! It is wireless, which is great for a pregnant belly, and it doesn't show under shirts. Many people thought it was pretty sexy for a nursing bra, which I wouldn't go so far as to say sexy, but it was a lot nicer than many out there. I wore it after giving birth the first time too, and its stretchy wireless cups gave a lot of room for size changes. It was lower cut when I was engorged, but it still fit well. Maybe it was a little sexy then. ;) Unfortunately, the band size is far bigger than I am normally, and once I started losing weight again, it grew larger and larger on me. Now I have to say, it is far too big. Many of my complaints are based on this alone, and not the actual bra, so I want to be sure to make a note of that. I don't like that it seemed so high up that it showed over the top of some tanks. But this could be because of the bra being the wrong size. The cups now also overtake my whole breast, leaving extra material, again because of it being too large.

Well, I decided I wanted a new, sexier (if I could find it) nursing bra. I found it. Again, Elle Macpherson knows her shit. I found the La Mere Bra in Tea.
I don't want to take this bra off. I actually feel sexy and normal again, and it fits well. It has six sets of hooks as well, (though I'm on the smallest one and have no where to go...) and even though it is lacy, it is so comfortable. I have a few issues with it that I think could be worked on. Firstly, the adjusters in the back are the short kind, so if you need more lift, you have a limit. It usually is ok for me, but I worry about it stretching and not being able to tighten it past that limit. Secondly, like all nursing bra's I've tried, the clips are sort of high up, so sometimes you really have to dig up your shirt to get it off. But it does come off and go on with one hand, which is great. It is lower cut, which is a plus, but the lace does show through some shirts. More so when you are engorged and it gives you a sort of quadruple boob syndrome. It also is wireless, something I NEVER thought I'd like in a bra, but I feel lifted and supported. Even with these issues, I think its a great, sexy bra, and so is the Materelle as long as they fit right! I highly recommend going to get fitted for bras, as these women know what they are doing. Don't assume your size or buy bras that don't fit! It can cause saggy boobs or a painful back. Or just plain look wrong. And if you live near Morristown NJ, check out the Dain Shope, they have all kinds of things to make you feel like a lady again!

11 comments:

  1. Ooh that second bra is hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the title of this post and was like, "thank God" because I really need help in the nursing bra department! I went to that Motherhood store cause they seemed to have a big selection but apparently only skinny bitches get pregnant and breastfeed because they didn't have any big cup sizes OR anything above a 36". I'm very suspicious of wireless bras though (sounds techy, like...wireless bluetooth) lol. The girls are big already and I've never had luck with wireless ones, I get the "uniboob" thing going on with them, not sexy. I want to try on these Elle bras but I don't know who has them out here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had know about the Dain shop when I was pregnant/nursing. Boo! I hate my nursing bra. The La Mere sounds really comfortable. Thanks for the tip, lady. When I'm having my next bowl of jelly, I'm a hit them up! Great post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I like them both a lot. I bet many are decently comfortable, but not as secure or sexy. I don't feel like I got uniboob with the Elle's, but I also was warry of wireless! And I'm not that that big. But when you are still pregnant I definitely advise against a wire, since the belly can really get in the way! I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes nursing bras are not very good these days. i have to agree with cords these are basically the only good bras out there. although I didnt like that you could see the bra (the first one) through my shirts. So i went on a search and found http://www.llliclothes.com/Bras/Nursing-Bras/Felicia-Fleece-Lined-Bra.html
    that one was recommended by my sister.

    Its ok the support is good, it comes in nude. but the lace shows a little through and it bulks on the side. Its also slightly padded (which i like-see below as to why).

    I also had the same problem like Cords where my bra (the elle mcpherson-the first one she mentions) got kinda big on me and even stretched out. Since it is not a cheap bra its not like I wanted to buy another and I was unhappy with it showing through shirts (and not having padding-milk would kinda pool and seep through my shirts).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like my bras padded in case of leakage. Which does not happen to everyone later on (In the beginning it does happen to everyone unless something is wrong I would think??) but does to me when I am nursing in the morning (she sleeps through the night).

    spots on my shirt? no thanks..
    I want padding

    I know padding sounds odd since nursing moms are huge but the padding is so minimal on some bras like the la leche and the mothercare one below.

    I also got the motherhood bras. I dont see the ones I bought online. but its the more expensive version of http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=911520361&MasterCategory_Id=MC29
    its very padded. It also was a half cup (on me at least) and the half cup shows through the shirts. the rest of the bra did not. If the padding was a little less and a full cup it would be a great bra.
    I tried on almost all their bras in the store and that was the only good one.
    I also have http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=993470361&MasterCategory_Id=MC29
    for some reason the straps crisscrossing in the back made my shoulders ache and I could not wear it. The support is good otherwise.

    Then I saw this bra http://www.mothercare.com/Moda-T-shirt-nursing-bra-Pink/dp/B000W9HLGA/ref=ts_dp_2/278-2895039-1157110?_encoding=UTF8&mcb=core
    I asked my sister (elisheva) to send it to me and its so good!! it has excellent support, minimal padding and doesnt show through shirts! It also has a very smooth finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was very happy. The only thing that I dont like is that the cup is maybe too big or something is not cut well on the side and it can be annoying.. it doesnt irritate though and I would still recommend this bra. Elisheva thinks they may be phasing the bra out though. It is really cheap now.

    They also have other good bras on that website. I have not tried any others on that site (mothercare) but I may. Depeding if my sister can find that bra for me again as I prefer it over the La leche . Also I know that bra is good and I have had to return SO MANY bras to stores and to online stores that I do not want to take anymore chances. I would go to regular stores but they dont really have any good stores here. The Dain Shoppe does not have a massive selection and I am very picky. Thats where I got the elle bra though.

    I also tried lots of bras from bare neccesities. like http://www.barenecessities.com/Anita-Soft-Cup-Nursing-Bra_product_Anita5062_,search,.htm
    (i THINK it was that one) but I found Anita not to be good.

    I know other people may like what I do not but I figure hey why not help in your decision?

    It is really important to wear a good bra unless you like the saggy bouncy look/feel.
    The bra should be parelell to the bottom of the cups it should not ride up. The strap should not be leaving marks. I say if you can fit 2 fingers under it, thats good (just the finger tips though) .

    Best would be if between the cups the piece in the middle stay flat between your breasts. BUT I have not found a nursing bra that does that yet. My regular bras do that. IT gives each breast their own life, seperates and smooths. It looks amazing and feels really good..

    Also the cups should not be making a cupcake of your breasts. It should fit nice and smooth over them. If you decide on a demi bra they should not be cutting into your breasts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My reccomendation for a new mom. Get a cheap bra like from target/walmart or spend money on the mcpherson.

    insertion about nursing pads:
    I personally do not like nursing pads as they show through the unpadded bra if its not padded. If its padded you dont need pads. Although I have a friend that wears pads and throws them out (i dont think those show I was wearing washable-eco eco!!) because she doesnt like the milk retaining in her bras. I personally dont mind it.

    You can also get a cheap bra from motherhood BUT the bra should still fit you! I was wearing 38DD first and then I went down to 36e/dd so your first bra may not fit you the whole way through. Or it may but I doubt it.

    Once you feel your breasts are no longer engorged. like 1-1/2 to 3 months most likely.. spend money on a bra!

    I hope this whole megillah is useful to someone.

    I also tried bras from other places. So if you want to ask for any recommendations. Please let me know!


    :D

    Sorry cords I over took the comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just a note. it says plus size on http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=993470361&MasterCategory_Id=MC29. i didnt get the plus size but it was the same bra... so i dont know how the plus size fits probably the same!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha I'm writing my own long comment very soon.. I'm supposed to be making dinner :x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked lily padz for covering up nipples popping out! they are made of silicone and are washable but they are a little hard to take care of..like you have to blowdry them or let them air dry otherwise they don't stay sticky and don't stay in place. http://www.amazon.co.uk/LilyPadz-Non-Absorbent-Breast-Pads/dp/B000NG879M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby&qid=1248286607&sr=8-1

    This bra I found to be pretty and supportive, the only thing is the lace sometimes shows. In that case I wore a tank top underneath. I also had to wear it with liypadz sometimes. http://www.barenecessities.com/Anita-Lace-Underwire-Nursing-Bra_product_Anita5041_,search,.htm I would TOTALLY get another one even though it shows through.
    Or I'd choose the mothercare bra Miriam posted. They are great and I didn't even realize its wireless because the support was so good! Comfy!
    I'm so scared they will run out of the mothercare bra maybe I'll go stock up for next time :D

    ReplyDelete