Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Liners (and Covers) that Saved me!

I've posted about cloth diapers a few times before. The first impression and a followup. Well its time for another. My awesome friend Amanda bought me the first things I needed to start as well as told me about the site she gets her stuff from, Mom's Milk Boutique. I have ordered from them before to add some more diapers to my collection. I went with those unbleached Indian prefolds that were seen in the previous diaper post. (These are great because they are actually very soft, super absorbent and extra long.) I decided it was time for a second trip to Mom's Milk, for the much awaited covers I needed and while there, I also decided to pick up some liners. After reading reviews, I went with the ImseVimse in toddler size.

(Not my pic)

I have to say, these are a LIFE SAVER!!! The few times I've used them, she's only peed in them ONCE! So I guess that's a lot of poop! But I have skipped a few times in the hopes that she just pooped and wouldn't again. It worked a few times, but I've had to clean the diaper "regularly" one time. I have also previously switched (sucked it up) to cleaning the diaper off in the actual toilet. It's not as gross as you might think (and probably better than using the sink) but its coooolllldd! These liners make that whole ordeal basically unnecessary! Also, having more covers is great and I have to do the laundry so much less! This matters since our washer situation is still a mess. I also let them air out over our shower rack if they are pee-smelling and use another one. By the next day the smell is gone and I can alternate more often. This also works if there is a little poop on the plastic part, but not on the fabric part. That can rinse right off and air dry as well, and if I do a load, I throw all the used ones in anyway!

I have only used the liners a few times because I tend to not use cloth diapers on weekends, mainly because I am away and its daunting for me. But that brings up another issue; I personally use a washcloth or rag on Shabbas for the kids faces, but you are not supposed to 'squeeze'. If someone was religious enough to not squeeze out on Shabbas (or back in the old days) what would they do!? Shake it off (doesn't really work, fyi) and put it in a bucket with poop on it? Wet or Dry? Wet doesn't really get the stain out, unless you rub the material together, and that is not allowed, and dry, well that's just gross and smelly. Feel free to let me know what you think!

My only caution is that us cloth diaperers might be used to using the diaper to wipe some of the poop off. So naturally, my instinct was to use the liner for this. DON'T! They are thinner than paper, and you WILL get pooty hands. :( They still leave a stain on the diaper when you remove them, a little thicker than my picture of them rinsed out. But some moms and dads might be ok with putting it in a wet bag or bucket from there. I still rinse mine out a bit, spray them and hang them on the bucket to dry a little like before. Its just a whole lot easier! I highly recommend it for "big kid poops", and even want to do it for Zalah to get her to POTTY TRAIN ALREADY! But, alas, she lost my small snappi so now I only have the one. :P Guess I have to go back to Mom's Milk Boutique!




4 comments:

  1. I just ordered a toddler double pack of snappis, and I found it the cheapest here: http://www.tinytush.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much bigger is the toddler snappi than the small one? At first the small ones seem really small but I noticed the first snappi I ever used it kinda big and stretched out now. Then it broke. I read that you should get new ones like every 6-9 months cause the rubber wears. I'm seriously happy that it's all working out for you. I think I will definitely try the liner one day. I guess whenever I notice the poo isn't spraying off lol. Or, if we're out. I have ImseVimse cloth wipes! They aren't that great actually but they were the cheapest I could find. I just use them for pee since they're super thin and I use the Thirsties wipes for poo. How do you say ImseVimse anyway? I always say "im-see vim-see" but that's probably wrong. Im-sa Vim-sa? Like maybe it's foreign? Well I think it is.

    I have to buy more prefolds again soon! I think I might skip a size (the red-edged mediums on GreenMountainDiapers.com) only because the size difference between the red edge and the larger brown edge isn't a lot. Or maybe I'll just buy 1 dozen of the red and then 2 dozen of the brown to kinda transition? I want to buy a lot at once because it's $10 shipping from that place which kinda sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me green, what is that? It fits Lyla well, the Indians I fold over, but I like them anyway.

    The snappis are back ordered so I have to wait! Wahh! You bought me one of each, but since she's fine in the toddler size I thought I'd just keep with that, and also Z could use them. (She lost the baby size one! :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look really cool! How do they work?

    ReplyDelete